Who’s in the Room Mentoring Program
The application period for Who's in the Room is now closed.
“Who’s in the Room” (WITR), a program of TIME’S UP Entertainment, is designed to increase the presence of people from a variety of economic and cultural backgrounds in the producer and executive ranks of the entertainment industry. We want to flood the market with diverse executives and help them build a powerful network of peers and mentors who will support them throughout their career.
We are targeting assistants in the executive and producer pipeline with one to three years of experience to help them get promoted, or “JUMP”, to junior executive level. Core to the program is an understanding that many people leave the industry at the assistant level because they lack the support to overcome substantial cultural and socio-economic barriers.
Our program will address those barriers and help JUMPers reach a point of stability. We provide an intensive mentoring relationship, an entertainment industry-specific curriculum and a financial aid flex-fund.
Please read the below information before applying to the WITR program. This is our pilot year, if you have questions related to the program, please contact Michelle Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide a meaningful mentorship experience which exposes JUMPers to a variety of opportunities to gain practical knowledge and insight from a seasoned executive in the entertainment industry.
- Provide opportunities for JUMPers to engage in personal and professional interactions, and networking seminars exposing them to the skills and knowledge that will elevate them.
- Provide JUMPers opportunities to engage in “the room where it happens” through mixers with the larger TIME’S UP Entertainment community and through opportunities provided to them by their mentors.
- Provide JUMPers with financial resources to expand their access to professional opportunities and provide personal stability.
Below is an outline of how a JUMPer will engage with their mentor.
Weekly Phone Calls
- JUMPer will speak weekly for 30 minutes with their mentor, for the duration of the 12 month pilot program.
- Mentors invite the JUMPer “into the room where it happens” through events such as, but not limited to, production sets, editing rooms, brainstorming sessions, or other social events which will enhance the JUMPers networking and professional skill-sets.
- JUMPers will attend monthly program sessions provided by TIME’S UP Entertainment one Saturday a month.
- JUMPers will attend four entertainment mixers with the larger TIME’S UP Entertainment community.
Eligibility & Requirements
JUMPers participating in WITR will be matched with top level executives in the entertainment industry who have committed to helping them understand the industry, apply for jobs, prepare for interviews, and navigate offers received. Mentors have also committed to bringing JUMPers into “the room where it happens” so they can experience first-hand the power of networking and witness how business is done in the field.
Eligible applicants will attend a mandatory bootcamp workshop where the most qualified applicants will be matched with industry executive mentors. If you are selected to attend the bootcamp workshop, you will experience 1.5 days of programming. From the pool who attends bootcamp, we will select our first cohort to be paired with industry mentors.
To be considered for the program applicants must:
- Be an assistant looking to make the JUMP to junior executive level with at least one to three years of industry work experience (i.e. TV, Film, and Agencies)
- Submit a complete on-line application, including all essays
- If selected, be available to attend a mandatory 1.5 day bootcamp workshop May 4, 2019 and May 5, 2019
Please note: All program events will take place in Los Angeles, and in-person attendance is required. No travel allowances are provided for selected candidates.
Bootcamp is the interview process for WITR. Selected candidates will participate in a bootcamp workshop designed to elevate those qualified for the program. Over the course of the 1.5 day workshop, mentors will have one-on-one time with candidates and will lead them through a series of activities designed to challenge candidates’ critical thinking skills, their commitment to the program, and their ability to succeed in the work environment. From this bootcamp, a select group of JUMPers will be matched with their mentors.
If you are selected for the bootcamp workshop you must attend the following mandatory dates:
- Saturday, May 4, 2019, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., and
- Sunday, May 5, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
The following is a checklist of what needs to be submitted with your application:
- Applicant Personal Information and background
- Applicant Family background
- Resume (PDF/WORD)
- Reference Contact Information
Note: The application does not save as you go. Be prepared to submit all checklist items at time of applying.
**Your reference will receive an on-line recommendation form. This form is sent to your reference via email by TU staff once you've submitted your application. Please be sure to let the reference know to complete the form before or by the application deadline.
To view a copy of the application to prepare in advance, please click here. Application deadline is Friday, April 19, 2019.